FIREWORKS ARE ILLEGAL
Every year, hundreds of people are in emergency rooms for burns, eye injuries, lacerations and amputations caused by fireworks. Use of illegal fireworks is also the cause of many house and forest fires. As the 4th of July approaches, The Plumsted Township Committee would like to remind all residents that in New Jersey, the possession, offer to sell and use of fireworks is illegal. Only sparklers, novelties and paper/plastic caps for toy guns are legal in New Jersey.
Here are safety tips from the National Council On Fireworks Safety:
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities. Never give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- Never relight a "dud" firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
- FAA regulations PROHIBIT the possession and transportation of fireworks in your checked baggage or carry-on luggage.
- Report illegal explosives, like M-80s and quarter sticks, to the fire or police department.
Please leave fireworks to the professionals, enjoy the annual New Egypt Rockin' Fireworks at the high school on July 7th.
Plumsted Township police have and will continue to respond to calls regarding fireworks.
Plumsted Township never sends unsolicited email.
You received this message because you requested a subscription to receive email alerts from Plumsted Township.